Otoe, Nebraska is a small town with a population of around 886 people as of the 2010 census. It’s located in southeastern Nebraska in the county of Otoe. The geography of Otoe is mostly flat, with gently rolling hills and agricultural land. The climate is temperate, with hot summers and cold winters. In terms of history, Otoe was founded in 1854 by Mormon pioneers who were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They were among the first settlers to move into this area and established a thriving community that still exists today. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Nebraska.
In terms of politics, Otoe is part of the state’s 3rd Congressional District and is represented by Democrat Brad Ashford in Congress. The town has an active government that works to promote growth and development within the community. The economy in Otoe largely revolves around agriculture, with corn and soybeans being two major crops grown in the area. There are also several businesses located throughout town that provide employment opportunities for local residents.
The schools in Otoe are part of the Syracuse Public Schools system which consists of two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school which all serve students from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. There are also several private schools located within a few miles radius from town including Christian Heritage Academy and St Mary’s Catholic School.
In terms of landmarks, there are several historic buildings located throughout town such as the old post office building which dates back to 1856, as well as many other structures that have been around since before World War II or even earlier than that such as the old train depot which was built in 1881. There are also several parks scattered throughout Otoe including City Park which features a playground area for children along with picnic tables where visitors can enjoy some outdoor time together.
Population: 217. Estimated population in July 2020: 215 (-0.9% change)
Males: 114 (52.5%), Females: 103 (47.5%)
Zip code: 68417
Median resident age: 36.5 years
Median household income: $33,125
Median house value: $34,500
Races in Otoe:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.1%)
Ancestries: German (50.7%), English (16.1%), United States (14.7%), Irish (8.3%), Dutch (2.8%), French (2.3%).
Elevation: 1118 feet
Land area: 0.2 square miles
Otoe, Nebraska is a small town located in the southeastern corner of the state. The population of Otoe is approximately 1,000 people. The median age of Otoe residents is around 44 years old and the town is predominantly White with a small Hispanic population. Most of the residents are employed in agriculture-related industries, such as farming and ranching. The median household income in Otoe is around $43,000 per year.
The cost of living in Otoe is relatively low compared to other parts of Nebraska or the nation as a whole. The average price for a three-bedroom house in Otoe is around $150,000, which makes it an affordable option for those looking to buy property in the area. Renting a two-bedroom apartment can cost about $800 per month. Utilities are also inexpensive in Otoe and typically run about $100 to $200 per month depending on usage. For groceries, expect to pay about 10% more than the national average due to limited competition from larger stores and chains.
For population 25 years and over in Otoe
- High school or higher: 75.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 1.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 40.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Otoe village
- Never married: 14.9%
- Now married: 62.1%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 8.1%
- Divorced: 13.7%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +22 (+11.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Otoe:
- COMMUNITY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; SYRACUSE, NE)
- ST MARYS HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; NEBRASKA CITY, NE)
- JOHNSON COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; TECUMSEH, NE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Otoe:
- EPPLEY AIRFIELD (about 43 miles; OMAHA, NE; Abbreviation: OMA)
- LINCOLN MUNI (about 45 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Abbreviation: LNK)
- ROSECRANS MEMORIAL (about 108 miles; ST JOSEPH, MO; Abbreviation: STJ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Otoe:
- NEBRASKA CITY MUNICIPAL (about 21 miles; NEBRASKA CITY, NE; Abbreviation: AFK)
- PLATTSMOUTH MUNI (about 21 miles; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Abbreviation: PMV)
- TECUMSEH MUNICIPAL (about 24 miles; TECUMSEH, NE; Abbreviation: 0G3)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Otoe:
- BELLEVUE UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; BELLEVUE, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,723)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT OMAHA (about 40 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 10,150)
- CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,806)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER (about 40 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,448)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT LINCOLN (about 41 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 19,806)
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE AREA (about 41 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 6,175)
- SOUTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE AREA (about 42 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,137)
Public primary/middle school in Otoe:
- OTOE PUBLIC SCHOOL (Students: 13; Grades: PK – 08)