Avoca, Nebraska is a small town located in Saunders County. With a population of just over 1,200 people, it is the smallest town in the county. The geography of Avoca is mainly flat with some rolling hills and plenty of farmland surrounding the area. The climate in Avoca can be described as temperate with cold winters and hot summers.
Avoca was first settled in 1856 by the German immigrants who had come to the area searching for more fertile land than what they had experienced back home. Over time, other settlers joined them and slowly but surely Avoca began to take shape. Today, most of the residents are descendants of these original settlers and their families still own many of the farms that have been passed down through generations.
Politically speaking, Avoca leans to the right with most residents voting Republican in local elections. The economy in Avoca relies heavily on farming and agricultural production as well as providing goods and services to nearby towns and cities. There are also a few small businesses that serve local needs such as grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, etc.
The school system in Avoca consists of one elementary school for grades K-5 as well as a middle school for grades 6-8 and one high school for grades 9-12. All schools are part of Saunders County Public Schools which operates under Nebraska State Education Board regulations.
Some notable landmarks in Avoca include an old grain elevator that was built around 1900 and remains standing today; an old town hall which used to be a general store; several historic churches; and several farms that have been preserved since they were first established by early settlers over 150 years ago.
Population: 270. Estimated population in July 2020: 274 (+1.5% change)
Males: 138 (51.1%), Females: 132 (48.9%)
Zip code: 68307
Median resident age: 33.0 years
Median household income: $36,250
Median house value: $50,300
Races in Avoca:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.4%)
- Hispanic (2.6%)
Ancestries: German (48.5%), Irish (12.6%), United States (10.7%), English (9.3%), French (4.4%), Polish (3.3%).
Elevation: 1172 feet
Land area: 0.1 square miles
Avoca, Nebraska is a small town located in the southeastern part of the state. The population of Avoca is estimated to be around 250 people, making it one of the smallest towns in Nebraska. The majority of the population is made up of families, with an average household size of 3.2 people. The median age in Avoca is 32.7 years old, and the town has a median household income of $51,000 per year.
The cost of living in Avoca is quite low compared to other parts of Nebraska. Housing costs are especially low, with an average two-bedroom apartment costing around $800 per month. Utilities are also relatively inexpensive, with electricity and natural gas averaging around $100 per month. Food prices are also quite reasonable for a small town, with basic groceries costing about 10% less than the national average. In addition to these savings, Avoca residents have access to excellent healthcare options at nearby hospitals and clinics at affordable prices. Finally, entertainment options are plentiful in this small town; from local parks and trails to festivals and concerts throughout the year there is plenty to do in Avoca!
For population 25 years and over in Avoca
- High school or higher: 78.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.0%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 34.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Avoca village
- Never married: 19.0%
- Now married: 59.3%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 14.7%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +15 (+5.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Avoca:
- COMMUNITY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; SYRACUSE, NE)
- ST MARYS HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; NEBRASKA CITY, NE)
- ALEGENT HEALTH – MIDLANDS COMM HOSP (about 25 miles; PAPILLION, NE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Avoca:
- EPPLEY AIRFIELD (about 39 miles; OMAHA, NE; Abbreviation: OMA)
- LINCOLN MUNI (about 44 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Abbreviation: LNK)
- ROSECRANS MEMORIAL (about 111 miles; ST JOSEPH, MO; Abbreviation: STJ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Avoca:
- PLATTSMOUTH MUNI (about 18 miles; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Abbreviation: PMV)
- NEBRASKA CITY MUNICIPAL (about 24 miles; NEBRASKA CITY, NE; Abbreviation: AFK)
- MILLARD (about 27 miles; OMAHA, NE; Abbreviation: MLE)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Nebraska graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Avoca:
- BELLEVUE UNIVERSITY (about 29 miles; BELLEVUE, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,723)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT OMAHA (about 35 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 10,150)
- CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,806)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER (about 35 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,448)
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE AREA (about 36 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 6,175)
- IOWA WESTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 40 miles; COUNCIL BLUFFS, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,840)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT LINCOLN (about 40 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 19,806)